Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Roots

I was approached this spring and asked to go to Denmark to help with a manufacturing process there. It was outside the scope of my daily work, but the people who were asking pay the bills for my research group so I couldn't say no. It has been interesting from a number of perspectives. I've been there 4 times so far - and will be going again in a few weeks.

I looked up where in Denmark SPH #0 came from. A long way from Zealand and Copenhagen, which is the area I'm working in. I think it is a 4-5 hour drive to north Jutland. I haven't been there over a weekend yet so I haven't even tried to go that far.

Everything there is expensive - and not just because of the ever-shrinking dollar. A hotel out in the countryside that would struggle to fill up in the states at $60 goes for three times that - and gets full regularly because there is little competition. It's a good thing gasoline is measured in liters and sold by the kronor - it would be a lot harder for me to purchase gas actually labeled at more than $8/gallon.

With my recent work on home repair I was very interested in the buildings. The most remarkable item is that 5-10% of the roofs on homes are thatched with twigs. These are not just historical roofs- I've seen some that were replaced relatively recently. Most of the other roofs are a terra-cotta or concrete tile.

3 Comments:

Blogger B said...

Wow! That sounds so fun! Do you think you will be going back again? They must like you a bit since they've invited you back three more times!)

16 August, 2007 22:39  
Blogger Lady said...

Very Interesting! Keep the tidbits coming, I love seeing how other cultures live. $8 A GALLON???? Cough cough!! Take the train!

19 August, 2007 21:08  
Blogger Peanut said...

I just read a book that talked a little about thatched roofs--That's interesting that they are still roofing like that. Does it make you wish you'd gone with something other than shingles on your own roof? :)

20 August, 2007 12:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home