Sunday, February 11, 2007

A new blogger on the bandwagon (really)

Hello, I'm new. I don't know much about blogging, but I'm willing to try. I'm HKPeter, the second Harvey-Pooka descendant. I want to write (/blog) about my fifth-grade band concert.
New News! I play the tuba! Just in case you don’t know (unlikely) a tuba is a big instrument in the brass section. My current lowest note is F-sharp #1. A tuba is low because of it’s mouthpiece size and even lower because of all the tubing. I think I’ve figured out how the valves work. the first valve subtracts 3 half steps, the second valve subtracts 1 half step and the third valve subtracts 5 half steps.

I had my first band concert Jan 9 2007. There was nothing out of the ordinary at either concert, the school one and the public one. The school one was at 2:30, for the various classes in the school. I got very excited about band. I also got very excited about the evening concert at 6:30. I think I announced a phony time, 6:45 when it should have been 6:30. the family arrived what would have been ten minutes early, The time I had given them turned out to be 15 minutes late, they were five minutes late, OOOOPS!

The songs we played, in order, were: "Keystone March," "Holly House," "Bear Paws," "Farther Along," "Grizzly Bear," "Li'l Liza Jane," "Frisky Fleas," "Jingle Bells" (after Christmas season!!!) and the best one, "Cowboy Tune." "Cowboy Tune" was sheet music.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

NOTE: I don't know how to use blogger very well but the pictures are coming in later. There will be at least two pictures.

11 February, 2007 18:17  
Blogger dani said...

Welcome to blogging HKPeter! Sounds like a lovely band concert! Wished we could have been there to applaud you on your show!

11 February, 2007 22:23  
Blogger Christine said...

My family always used to joke about someone playing "Flight of the Bumblebee" on the tuba...perhaps you can one day! Regaurdless, I think it's a cool instrument and definitely a good choice. Sounds like a great concert!

12 February, 2007 18:35  
Blogger Boss said...

Wow. I'm very impressed that you've figured out the valve system. I always assumed that musical instruments are just like everything else in my life I don't understand (computers, the microwave)--the buttons are just magic. You are ahead of the game, my friend! Welcome to blogland!

16 February, 2007 22:45  
Blogger Ree said...

How many Tubas can fit on a bandwagon? Is that puzzle easier than the valves? Great post, HKPeter!

19 February, 2007 10:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry we couldn't make it to your concert. We always loved going to concerts. I remember well one of your Dad's first concerts playing the tuba. If we had enough tubas, there could be a Henrichsen tuba quintet I think. I don't think we'll make any local concerts (except a Messiah concert last Sunday), but we are ging to go to a couple of High School musicals that should be fun - one if The Music Man, the other Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Isn't music a great thing! Love, Grandma sph

23 March, 2007 19:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home