Sunday, April 29, 2007

I'm melting!


It's been a while since we posted... and the weather is starting to warm up. We still can't plant a garden until after the last frost date on May 20th, but its getting close. But the change in the seasons and weather is not why we're melting.

Several years ago we moved to the northern tundra not knowing how employment would work out or many of the other details of why we should move. We only knew that the instructions from the holy spirit were unequivocal: we should go north to become strangers in a strange land.
OK, it wasn't totally a strange land even if they did have some odd ideas about leadership. I'd visited before and we knew some cool people who lived in the area then. And the way these things work, it doesn't take too long to fit into a new ward or to meet new friends. Employment, however, remained a remote hope - that is to say I telecommuted.
At times I looked for employment locally or when feeling the stress of the long distance relationship asked the Lord how long we would need to remain here. But there was neither progress in finding a local employer nor an answer to the prayers asking 'How long?' other than 'Stay.'
Until one day this winter when it suddenly became clear that our time here was through. When I mentioned to Pooka that I'd had thoughts about moving back south again I didn't have to say that the time had come. She just knew. So we're melting because we will one day soon leave the frozen north behind for the foreseeable future and return to the balmy lands from which we moved north a few years ago.
If we can ever get through the dejunking and refinishing to get our house on the market.

6 Comments:

Blogger B said...

Wow, that's dome news! Good luck with all the de-junking and refinishing. Sometimes it seems that those projects are never-ending. So will this mean an end to the telecommuting?

30 April, 2007 00:09  
Blogger Taffy said...

Wow, moving! Honestly I'm glad it's you and not me. I've done way too much moving in the past few years. It's always a little hard to say good bye and start over. Good luck to you all on this adventure!

30 April, 2007 01:15  
Blogger Boss said...

Good luck with all the moving preparations. We're excited about our new home, but I still dread all the hassles that go along with moving, and my household doesn't have nearly the population density of your house. (Then again, maybe it does. This apartment is tiny.) Anyway, feel free to borrow my moving motto: when in doubt, throw it out. (Note: motto does not apply to children. Or pets. (Unless the pets are invertebrates.))

30 April, 2007 11:35  
Blogger Peanut said...

So how are the dejunking and refinishing going? Did you get that puzzle finished?

08 May, 2007 12:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pooka is very tired of all this, but yes, there is progress, and improvement, and yes, the puzzle is finished, thanks to Harvey figuring out how that doggone sky fit together. It's now matted in a beautiful gold frame, and will hang behind our family room couches. Thank you so very much for the 10,000 volt jump-start you gave it, Peanut!

08 May, 2007 21:39  
Blogger Lady said...

I just want to say what a "HANDSOME" family. Everyone looks so nice in your family photo. Your baby is as bald as mine, sometimes I wonder if she'll ever get hair or if she just wants to look like her dad. Good luck with selling the house. I think that is the hardest part of a move. I have moved many times but only once had to sell a house. I used to think packing was such a bear but after having to keep a house in "showing" condition and stress about offers and timetables, packing became the least of my worries. Good Luck!! We look forward to hearing from you in the southland when all is final.

18 May, 2007 12:59  

Post a Comment

<< Home