Ten? I can't believe its been that long that I need ten!!
1. Laundryman auditioned for the all state bands a few months back. He came out of the audition much wiser - and a bit disappointed. He didn't do as well as he'd hoped but with the experience of the audition he'll do much better next year. Which of course means he'll do better than the 3rd chair trombone position he earned in the 2nd all state band this year.
2. Today was the concert. We drove out right after church and still missed a bit, but what we caught was really good. Taking a 17-month-old and a 3-year-old to a high school band concert is kind of... vigorous. By the last song I was at the end of my rope and so was JJ - so to get through I told her that the last song was about a large waterfall and had a spooky part. She really got into the spooky part! She still doesn't believe there was a waterfall - but she can tell anyone who will listen about the ghost!
So I guess the moral is when you're at the end of your rope is that weaving a new story from the frayed ends can work so well its spooky. (!?)
3. HKPeter also had a state level activity this past weekend - Mathcounts. His team did really well at the regional math competition a few weeks ago and qualified for state. The reality of having to compete against teams with coaches who practice more than once a week was a bit hard on him and his team-mates. Either way I like the recognition and fun attached to a subject that directly impacts the careers of most of those I interact with at work every day.
And HKPeter has decided he wants to be an assistant coach for the middle school team next year. A bit ambitious, but not a proposal the coach will turn down. Whether he can sell Pooka on the idea is another story.
4. For spring break Pooka and Pookums are headed out to visit her sister and mother. I'll have all the kids for the week - even Junior Mint.
5. Speaking of Junior Mint - Junior (the next) is due June 3. And indications are that Junior will be the 5th boy.
6. HKPeter also gave a talk today in Sacrament meeting - on communication and relationships between fathers and sons. It was interesting to hear his perspective on some of my actions.
7. Laundryman also gave a sacrament meeting talk recently - but not in our ward. There is a Spanish branch that meets in our ward meetinghouse and he has not been shy about practicing his 2nd-year Spanish with the members of the branch. As a result he is well loved there - and had the opportunity to practice his Spanish even more from the podium. The night before when he remembered he needed to write down his talk it was too late to get translation help from a member of the branch presidency so we called some uncles and aunts who are passingly familiar with Spanish. And he did well - at least as far as I could tell!
8. Harvey Jr was made the secretary in the Deacons Quorum today. He was pretty tickled.
9. I got my taxes done early and my refund back already. I wish there was a way to get the witholding reduced even further. Due to the structure of my compensation, IRS rules, and my plentiful dependents I can't get my witholding low enough to not need a refund.
10. Our garden has gotten past the planning to the seed purchasing - but I'm not sure we'll get much further than that in the next week even with spring break.
2. Today was the concert. We drove out right after church and still missed a bit, but what we caught was really good. Taking a 17-month-old and a 3-year-old to a high school band concert is kind of... vigorous. By the last song I was at the end of my rope and so was JJ - so to get through I told her that the last song was about a large waterfall and had a spooky part. She really got into the spooky part! She still doesn't believe there was a waterfall - but she can tell anyone who will listen about the ghost!
So I guess the moral is when you're at the end of your rope is that weaving a new story from the frayed ends can work so well its spooky. (!?)
3. HKPeter also had a state level activity this past weekend - Mathcounts. His team did really well at the regional math competition a few weeks ago and qualified for state. The reality of having to compete against teams with coaches who practice more than once a week was a bit hard on him and his team-mates. Either way I like the recognition and fun attached to a subject that directly impacts the careers of most of those I interact with at work every day.
And HKPeter has decided he wants to be an assistant coach for the middle school team next year. A bit ambitious, but not a proposal the coach will turn down. Whether he can sell Pooka on the idea is another story.
4. For spring break Pooka and Pookums are headed out to visit her sister and mother. I'll have all the kids for the week - even Junior Mint.
5. Speaking of Junior Mint - Junior (the next) is due June 3. And indications are that Junior will be the 5th boy.
6. HKPeter also gave a talk today in Sacrament meeting - on communication and relationships between fathers and sons. It was interesting to hear his perspective on some of my actions.
7. Laundryman also gave a sacrament meeting talk recently - but not in our ward. There is a Spanish branch that meets in our ward meetinghouse and he has not been shy about practicing his 2nd-year Spanish with the members of the branch. As a result he is well loved there - and had the opportunity to practice his Spanish even more from the podium. The night before when he remembered he needed to write down his talk it was too late to get translation help from a member of the branch presidency so we called some uncles and aunts who are passingly familiar with Spanish. And he did well - at least as far as I could tell!
8. Harvey Jr was made the secretary in the Deacons Quorum today. He was pretty tickled.
9. I got my taxes done early and my refund back already. I wish there was a way to get the witholding reduced even further. Due to the structure of my compensation, IRS rules, and my plentiful dependents I can't get my witholding low enough to not need a refund.
10. Our garden has gotten past the planning to the seed purchasing - but I'm not sure we'll get much further than that in the next week even with spring break.

2 Comments:
Sounds like good work all around--state level activities, spooky concerts, taxes done early, sacrament talks and gardens--good stuff.
Look at all those smarty-pants, state-skills kids! Good work, guys! Enjoy all those state competitions you can; they're a blast! I'm impressed by your promptness with taxes and invention during concerts. Thanks for reminding us to make things happen in life (that's what Captain Lovell talked about here yesterday, too).
Junior can come whenever he and Higher Authorities work out, but I would be fine with the 4th. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home