Sunday, August 02, 2009

"Ah - to be as young as six again!" and other experiences

Today Pooka explained to a group of children under six in our kitchen that people had to be married to have children - When I goggled at the statement she turned to me and said, "You were six once and the world was much simpler then."
JJ, age 2, immediately responded that when she was six once she coughed and so she needed a "cough candy" (aka starlight mint). And a tomato.
The mint I understand, but I'd never before realized just how long JJ has been waiting to get a tomato. (Its been a long time since she was six.)

When Pookums joined us in January she brought along a variant of the slug bug game. It involves hitting whoever is close and calling out "Slug Bug, No tag backs!" whenever a VW beetle is sighted. In addition to beetles, PT cruisers (Coach Roach) and any yellow car (Sloppy Yellow) are also triggers for the game. Children learn from their experiences - so it didn't take long for even Holly and JJ to pick up on the game. Earlier this year while Pooka was driving the younger children somewhere Holly was awakened by a blow to the head from an exuberant JJ shouting "No tag backs!" JJ later explained over Holly's screaming - "It was a Sloppy Yellow!"

Yesterday I went to pick up a rental car for a trip this week. It is a Nissan Versa, a 'midsize' that seems like a compact and handles like a truck. Today when JJ saw it in our driveway she excitedly proclaimed, "We have a new vehicle!" Her use of the word vehicle is again an example of the impact of experiences.

Holly had the opportunity to ride in the rental car yesterday. When Pooka asked her to climb in she responded, "But Mama! This is a coach roach grey! I am so embarrassed!!" When I questioned her on how she felt about riding in the car yesterday she clarified by saying, "I'm just embarrassed." Today she told Pooka that embarrassed means you like to do something.
While that may explain the use of that word by a child her age, I'm just wondering what bit of example in our home helped her connect the word embarrassing with a positive or desirable experience.

1 Comments:

Blogger Boss said...

Those kids make me laugh! I'm so embarrassed. (By which I mean, I like it, of course.)

06 August, 2009 09:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home