Resort Town?
I arrived at Heathrow shortly after I started feeling sleepy. Unlike some previous trips to Europe I didn't see a need to use the OTC antihistamine with the convenient drowsiness side effect because I wouldn't need to be working much until the 3rd.
Apparently the baggage handlers were not all back from christmas vacation yet - When I arrived in the UK KLM couldn't even say whether my bag had left the US. I was told that they might have it to me by sometime tomorrow morning. If I weren't going for such a long trip I'd have packed a 2nd carryon and checked it only on the way back when UK regulations allow only 1 carryon. I rarely check luggage on trips outside the UK and this simply reinforces my bias.
A couple weeks ago when I planned the trip I was feeling brave and while arranging for a rental car indicated I could drive a stick shift. I'd forgotten at the time that I'd also have to shift with my left hand while sitting on the right and driving on the left. I'd have been in trouble without GPS navigation - it allowed me to focus on one fewer task. I only turned onto the wrong side of a divided road once.
Traffic markings are very different as well. I think I did OK - but I'll see in a few weeks if the rental car company bills me for traffic tickets. (I saw some of the cameras which outnumber humans on the island.)
The town I'm staying in is Brighton, on the southern shore of the UK. (In Sussex.) There are a number of hotels facing the sea along the southernmost road, and I'm in one of them. Sunset -captures just before 3PM local, was a majestic affair.



Apparently the baggage handlers were not all back from christmas vacation yet - When I arrived in the UK KLM couldn't even say whether my bag had left the US. I was told that they might have it to me by sometime tomorrow morning. If I weren't going for such a long trip I'd have packed a 2nd carryon and checked it only on the way back when UK regulations allow only 1 carryon. I rarely check luggage on trips outside the UK and this simply reinforces my bias.
A couple weeks ago when I planned the trip I was feeling brave and while arranging for a rental car indicated I could drive a stick shift. I'd forgotten at the time that I'd also have to shift with my left hand while sitting on the right and driving on the left. I'd have been in trouble without GPS navigation - it allowed me to focus on one fewer task. I only turned onto the wrong side of a divided road once.
Traffic markings are very different as well. I think I did OK - but I'll see in a few weeks if the rental car company bills me for traffic tickets. (I saw some of the cameras which outnumber humans on the island.)
The town I'm staying in is Brighton, on the southern shore of the UK. (In Sussex.) There are a number of hotels facing the sea along the southernmost road, and I'm in one of them. Sunset -captures just before 3PM local, was a majestic affair.
Although this is a resort town I'd imagined that this would be the off season so crowds would be sparse and parking would be easy. Neither is true. There were thousands of pedestrians out and about at 2pm when I got to town. And parking is both scarce and pricey.
Many of the buildings have been painted a uniform light yellow - to some degree hiding their diversity. But the column headers still are distinctive.
I saw arrays of chimneys reminicsent of Mary Poppins in several places along the waterfront. It was a bit surprising how even newer buildings had visible chimneys.

2 Comments:
D.W. and all her sisters clustered around for the Mary Poppins chimneys, laughing out loud as they came on the screen. Thank you so much for sharing views of your trip with us! We love and miss you, dear man!
Love, Pooka ... who STILL can't remember her username or password
Good for you driving stick on the old island! That takes nerve! I was only over there for two months, and never personally drove ( my comp did all the driving) but I still had some adjustment to being on the "wrong" side of the road when I got home (Taffy can attest to that!) Hope your adjustment is smoother than mine. And Hope you enjoy your time there, hard as it is to be away from the fam!
Post a Comment
<< Home