Sunday, September 23, 2007

Surprise talks in Sacrament Meeting

A couple months ago after what seemed a typical Sunday morning of church preparation, I settled into my usual seat on our usual bench prepared for the typical activities of distracting children under four from making noise and helping children over four pay attention to the talks. After an unremarkable opening to the meeting I was startled out of my cluelessness when it was announced Pooka would be giving a talk in just a few minutes. I immediately turned my gob smacked head in Pooka's direction to quietly seek to inquire if it was truly so. She glanced my direction and kind of shrugged and then looked back toward the front of the chapel. In my panicked state I hadn't even noticed the smile that crept across her face as she tried to appear guilelessly surprised, so I interpreted her shrug as she intended: I thought that the announcement was the first she'd heard about it.
I didn't figure out that she'd tricked me until a few minutes later when she started her talk. She - as usual - was extremely well prepared and did an excellent job. Based on conversations afterward she'd only been concerned that she hadn't kept a straight enough face as she shrugged.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home