Ice Fishing
Today at 2:13pm, 7 lbs 10 oz, 21 inches long, Pooka landed a real keeper.



We are glad JJ is here safely. Birth was completed without incisions, epidural, or narcotics. Apparently JJ had read the instruction manual for newborns and was ready to nurse heartily as soon as she was given the opportunity.
While waiting for JJ to come out and play Pooka came up with a new game that we played in the labor and delivery room. We chose a number of activities that could help distract Pooka from contractions and wrote them down on slips of paper which were placed in a box. Before each contraction I would randomly select a slip of paper and then when the contraction arrived I would use that method.
Methods selected included efflorage on Pooka's shoulder or forearm, massaging Pooka's feet, icepack application on the small of Pooka's back, and massaging the small of Pooka's back with a rubber ball, and playing handpile. She indicated that the surprise and variation would make it more fun than just picking a different one for each contraction.
I suggested that if surprise helped we should borrow Boss's approach to being pleasantly surprised and throw candy around the room. She reminded me she was diabetic. So instead we had a feast of orange juice and cookies after JJ was born.



We are glad JJ is here safely. Birth was completed without incisions, epidural, or narcotics. Apparently JJ had read the instruction manual for newborns and was ready to nurse heartily as soon as she was given the opportunity.
While waiting for JJ to come out and play Pooka came up with a new game that we played in the labor and delivery room. We chose a number of activities that could help distract Pooka from contractions and wrote them down on slips of paper which were placed in a box. Before each contraction I would randomly select a slip of paper and then when the contraction arrived I would use that method.
Methods selected included efflorage on Pooka's shoulder or forearm, massaging Pooka's feet, icepack application on the small of Pooka's back, and massaging the small of Pooka's back with a rubber ball, and playing handpile. She indicated that the surprise and variation would make it more fun than just picking a different one for each contraction.
I suggested that if surprise helped we should borrow Boss's approach to being pleasantly surprised and throw candy around the room. She reminded me she was diabetic. So instead we had a feast of orange juice and cookies after JJ was born.

19 Comments:
Congratulations! I've been stalking your website for days now waiting for the big announcement. I'm so excited for you and JJ is just gorgeous.
Congratulations!! JJ looks like one of your crew already! I hope I look as good as Pooka in a month when I deliver. She doesn't even look tired. Hopefully an email will be sent out with JJ's actual name. I am excited to know. I really liked your ideas of distraction during labor as well. If I don't get my epidural early enough, perhaps I will employ some of them. Congrats again on a beautiful healthy baby!
Good job, Pooka, Harvey and JJ! She is beautiful, just like her mama--who looks great period, not to mention present circumstances. Congratulations! We love you all.
Good job Pooka!! :) Congrats to you three. :) We love you - all ten on you! :) Daddy-A
Congratulations, she is just beautiful! I had the same thoughts as Lady, Pooka looks really good after having delivered JJ. Congratulations again!
Congratulations! What a beatiful addition to the family! And it's true Pookah, you look great especially for having just delivered your "keeper"! We're glad you are all doing well.
Congratulations! She's beautiful! Good job all of you!
Beautiful pictures of beautiful people! Good work all around! We too are happy all is well with mom and infant. Hooray!
Well, if you do decide to throw JJ back afterall, I call dibs, cause that is one good looking baby. And Mama looks great too. Congratulations all around!
Congratulations on your beautiful "keeper"! She's just adorable - like the rest of your "keepers" are! Glad Pooka was able to distract herself thru labor and come out looking so rested and beautiful. And I love JJ's name! dani
Yippy! Congratulations! I'm glad all is well. I love you guys!
Pooka, you are one brave lady! Congratulations to the clan -- now you definitely have to stop in Rochester so I can see the newest addition!
Doh! Why didn't I think of calling dibs before Boss?!
Wow! Beautiful baby girl and it is amazing how beautiful Mom looks after just giving birth. Congratulations, Love Aunt BettyBoop
Congratulations all around!!!!! Way to go!!
After the birth of Caroliness, the OB said that Daddy-A and sph2 should teach classes in natural childbirth. Seems like Pooka and Harvey fill the bill for the next generation. It sure beats C-sections, doesn't it! It's exciting to have a beautiful, precious grand-daughter, named after her two grandfathers, just as her Uncle Javich, in position 8, was named after his two grandfathers. We can't wait for our chance for snuggling and smooching with this precious addition to the family. sph2
I'm not sure we can claim to be the experts in natural childbirth, since I was asking for the narcotic shot at the panicky last -- but it was just too bleepin' late for anything of the kind. Also, you'd have to get Matthew's okay before designating any such assignment; I'm not convinced his hand will ever be the same after I mashed it good and proper during transition phase.
Congratulations on your new addition to the family. We are happy for your family.
Jemely
She is so beautiful. Ya'll are blessed!!!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home