Sunday, June 18, 2006

Compassionate Carnivore?

To many outside our family I am sure it is sometimes difficult to identify each of our children individually. Sometimes they look so much alike to others that those of the same gender are difficult to differentiate, even though the children don't run off after being introduced and switch clothes like some nasty little boys I heard of once. But for me each child is distinct not just in appearance but in personality and likes and dislikes.

I knew years ago that one cousin does not like pumpkin pie because of the aftertaste that most others don't notice. And another doesn't appreciate bananas. And there is the brother of mine who doesn't have as great an interest in chess or other boardgames. So seeing differences alone is not noteworthy, but seeing how early they develop is interesting.

Food preferences are visible very early - and some of the differences are astonishing. We've known for some time that Holly relishes oatmeal or bread with milk in a bowl. She can be entertained for hours by a bowl of such food. But it was still astonishing a few nights ago to see her drop dry Apple Jacks on the floor to clear space on her tray for split pea soup - and be happy with the change.

Others have had definite preferences too. Snoozer has been our carnivore. She does eat other things - so technically she is still an omnivore - but there has always been a strong preference for meat. Snoozer has also been our most snuggly and huggy child. I think these two tendencies had a collision this week.

We've had trouble in our garden this year from some of our smaller neighbors. Whether it was the Lagomorph family or the largest local member of the squirrel family (a woodchuck), our broccoli was consumed well before harvest time. And some of our corn is shorter than it once was. One of the solutions Pooka and I discussed was trapping. Pooka expressed concern that some of our daughters would object to eating cute mammals. So I asked.

Before I asked, we thought DW or Niccus would object the most. But when confronted with the phrase 'rabbit stew' neither had any problems with the idea. Only our compassionate carnivore objected to rabbit stew. The stew wasn't the problem. Beef stew was as objectionable once she figured out that 'beef' meant that a piece of a cow was in the stew. It was concern for the animal content - "that someone was being bad to the animal" if it wound up in our stew.

She still likes ham. And pepperoni on pizza is still her favorite food. But we have not revealed to her the secrets of their origin.

Snoozer has since warmed to the idea of eating rabbit stew. Even after having seen a wild rabbit close-up. But I think she is still, deep down inside that willing to eat rabbit stew chummy outer shell, a very compassionate carnivore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home